These two posters fuse experimental typography and distorted imagery to create visual representations of summer experiences. The two experiences depicted are a MuteMath concert and a bar crawl in Chinatown, New York City.
I defined aspects of the experiences before I began experimenting with typographic approached so that every design elements would have a unified outcome.
MUTEMATH ("HUMAN MACHINE")
1. The musicians frequently remixed their own songs live to create something new.
2. Most of their music utilized synthesizers.
3. Bright, neon colors were displayed through the stage lighting.
BAR CRAWL ("I'M SURE WE...")
1. We were lost.
2. All of the details of the night are incomplete and difficult to remember.
3. We walked around Chinatown, where bright neon signs illuminate the streets.
Image abstractions involved experimenting with various methods of creating glitches. First, I tried editing the original image code by deleting lines. Then, I attempted to upload the image files in an audio editor and added sound filters to the file which was then exported as a JPEG.
The process for making the background involves opening an image of the band's singer in TextEdit and copying & pasting the image code into a Photoshop document text layer. This was used as a displacement map for distorting the imagery and also the "Human Machine" typography.